The Paraplanners

A potential place for the Paraplanners Powwow Tue 5 Mar 2013

Thank you if you were one or more than 70 paraplanners who took the time to complete our recent survey to try to pinpoint a place for a Powwow in 2013.

As you can see, we've mapped the locations of everyone who submitted their postcode and it seems we have a bit of a north-south divide. Perhaps it's not surprising, then, that the central midlands is beginning to look like the most promising spot for a Powwow.

But we'd like to know what you think.

We checked the travel times from the nine most distant locations - that's assuming that you would travel by car and we would hold the event somewhere near Bromsgrove - and it means that the longest journey time is in the region of three-and-a-quarter hours. We estimate that the average journey time will be between 90 minutes to two hours.

Before we progress discussions with potential locations, we wanted to know your thoughts on two things:

1. Is an average journey time of between 90 minutes to 2 hours something that you'd be happy to consider?
  2. We're considering beginning the Powwow at 10:00 (with registration available from 8.30am) but is that too late? What time would you prefer the event to start?

Please let us know what you think about either - or both - of these questions by posting a comment beneath this blog post or by e-mailing me.

Categories

Comments

1. Seems fine to me - although might be a tad of a stretch for some of the more far flung folks!

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 10:53:37 AM
  2. Gravatar of Jo HagueJo Hague

Bromsgrove is good for me - about 2 hrs but do-able for a day! Would be good to get a feel for cost and content for those of us who have to get the nod from the chiefs before a day out of the office!

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 11:01:03 AM
  3. Hi Jo. That's something we expect to be able to post in the next fortnight. However, our ambition is to create a not-for-profit event where delegates only need to make a modest cash commitment to indicate attendance.

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 11:12:57 AM
  4. Gravatar of Heidi WithamHeidi Witham

Fine with me. 10am is suitable too I think given rush hour traffic.

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 11:13:49 AM
  5. Gravatar of Jane HoltJane Holt

Both seem reasonable to me.
    And since this is being done in a very consultative way, maybe nearer the time we could have a forum to get in touch with one another - there are 3 others within a stone's throw of my postcode, and I would be happy to facilitate a car share.

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 11:18:41 AM
  6. Good idea Jane. We will be setting up a separate site for the Powwow soon and will include a forum or something similar to allow people to get in touch with each other.

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 11:22:49 AM
  7. Gravatar of Alex LanninAlex Lannin

Sounds like a good central location to me!

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 11:37:06 AM
  8. Gravatar of Matt Jones (@paraplannermatt)Matt Jones (@paraplannermatt)

I still think the isle of wight festival would be a good site for the powwow - a teepee would not look out of place and the line up looks pretty good this year...

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 11:41:37 AM
  9. Gravatar of Michael DuttonMichael Dutton

Sounds good to me. 10am start with 8:30 onwards registration is spot on. Anyone wanting to car share from the Doncaster / Sheffield area feel free to get in touch nearer the time!

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 11:45:43 AM
  10. Gravatar of Sarah KearseySarah Kearsey

90 minutes /2hrs with a 10am start is fine, that seems to be the standard for most events I go to.

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 11:48:51 AM
  11. Gravatar of Claire GoodwinClaire Goodwin

I have to admit that I googled Bromsgrove.......
    but yes that seems fine. Times are good too. Looks like there are a few on the South Yorks list so would potentially be up for a car share.

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 12:07:59 PM
  12. I'd be interested - its about 2.5 hours for me but I'd probably come up night before and stay. I would be interested in car share if anyone is local - I'm in Essex- and get in touch with anyone else that is going to stay over too.
    Although it does look as if most of the respondents are in the south east... ;>)

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 12:53:25 PM
  13. Gravatar of Kim BendallKim Bendall

It's about 3 hours away for me so I'll probably stay the night before.

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 6:16:42 PM
  14. Gravatar of Kathleen KeyteKathleen Keyte

Works for me! (she said selfishly) ;-)

Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 8:26:21 AM
  15. Gravatar of Jonathan CooperJonathan Cooper

Seems like a fair compromise.
    Similarly to earlier comments on content do we have a date yet?

Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 8:43:41 AM
  16. Gravatar of Lucinda DaveyLucinda Davey

Sounds Good , about an hour and half for me, as previous comments happy to car share from Bristol

Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 8:56:06 AM
  17. Hi Jonathan. We will be posting more info on the date, cost and content next week. Any ideas anyone has for things they'd really like to see or do at an event like this are welcome.

Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 9:06:32 AM
  18. Gravatar of Kat MockKat Mock

That's good for me.

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 11:18:27 AM
  19. Gravatar of Damian DaviesDamian Davies

Great - well done, Richard.

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 11:30:29 AM
  20. Gravatar of Anita WrightAnita Wright

Sounds good to me and happy to car share - I'm in Preston.

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 11:41:55 AM
  21. 2 hrs is doable from Brighton - although worst time to be on the M25 which might slow things up a bit. Depending on the day/date - might make other plans around it.

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 9:04:19 PM
  22. Gravatar of Richard BishopRichard Bishop

I live 2 miles from Bromsgrove. I don't want 70 paraplanners that close to me. I don't feel safe.

I suggest the South Pole or North Korea.

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 11:11:32 PM
  23. Gravatar of Becci JonesBecci Jones

That journey time sounds reasonable to me and the start times sound good. Agree with my colleague Michael Dutton re car sharing - good idea. Looking forward to hearing more detail.

Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 10:58:54 AM